Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Why I Will No Longer Attend Student Worship

Upon arriving at university, I was eager to involve myself in the student-led worship events. I quickly joined a worship team as a bass player, a capacity I served in for my entire first year. The following year, I took my involvement a step further, acting as a worship team leader. By the end of that year, I was feeling burnt out and decided not to participate in my third year.

And now, in my fourth year, I have come to the realization that I can never again involve myself student worship again, whether as a leader, or as a participant. I will not attend Worship 937 or chapel services, nor help plan them, nor be involved in any study groups, nor any ministry groups within the student body.

The reason for my complete abstinence is quite simple: it is my heart-felt conviction that what is being called “worship” at all these events is not the worship of the One True God; what is being practiced does not honour God – in fact, it openly and blatantly dishonours Him, and hinders the cause of Christ.

In my two years in worship ministry, I have seen teaching ranging from the orthodox to the questionable to the outright heretical; and all of it has been accepted without question. The students here, by and large, lack the fundamental skill with the Word of God to discern what is true and what is false. There is no standard of truth, save what comes under the banner of “Christianity”.

The result is that any speaker, from one who preaches an emergent, social gospel such as Colin McCartney (not "Scott", as I erroneously wrote the first time), to one who denies hell and preaches a Socinian moralistic gospel such as Rob Bell, is welcomed as speaking from God. Worse, these types of false gospels are not only tolerated, but actively encouraged by the student leaders. From among the same student body which lacks any real Biblical discernment come the student leaders, who will ultimately aid in deceiving their fellow students. The deceived become the deceivers – the blind lead the blind (Matt 15:14).

And this is the heart of the matter. The problem is not simply one of leadership, because it is the students themselves who are the main culprits in their own self-deception. This makes it impossible to “reform from within”, for the prevailing spirit of the student ministry is one of willful self-deception – and anyone who dares preach the true gospel of Christ is considered an aberration. The message that “Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures” (1 Cor. 15:3) is considered foolishness.

What kind of people would call the gospel of Christ foolishness? Only those that are not saved: “For to those who are perishing the message of the cross is foolishness, but to us who are being saved it is God’s power” (1 Cor. 1:18). For me to attend such events is to participate in a “ministry” which is slowly but surely, step-by-step, inch-by-inch, leading my fellow students ever closer to hell. It calls itself Christian, yet opposes the gospel of Christ and considers it foolishness.

This does not honour God, nor does it edify the believer. It dishonours God and helps damn those who claim to believe. I cannot in good conscience help to support these efforts, whether through leadership or through willing participation. If I am to obey Christ, I must oppose student ministry.

May the Lord have mercy on all His own.

4 comments:

kookaburra43 said...

"So, what is common knowledge to most is earth-shattering revelation for me: that when you're nice to people, they'll be nice back. I still believe that strong language and sarcasm are good and necessary; but I need to be more selective in where I apply them. This is one of the many ways in which the Lord Jesus needs to conform me to His image. Debate and disagreement are normal and useful for learning; but only when people actually listen to each other. And people only listen when they aren't defending themselves."
-Jeff Godley, August 8 2010

I have to say though I disagree with many of your assumptions and arguments (I especially have no idea why you would believe that kings' students think that "anyone who dares preach the true gospel of Christ is considered an aberration"), I mostly disagree with the way you've stated them as an attack against an honest pursuit to know and worship God. In my opinion, obeying Christ means loving others while humbly discussing his word, so that all may participate in seeking the truth of the gospel and grow in knowledge and discernment.

Jeff Godley said...

Who are you? Do you go to King's?

If you do, then please do us the courtesy of telling us who you are. If you're not, then I would like to know what makes you an expert on what King's is like.

"In my opinion, obeying Christ means loving others while humbly discussing his word, so that all may participate in seeking the truth of the gospel and grow in knowledge and discernment." The only thing I would say in response is to ask, is your opinion supported in Scripture? Can you point to a text which tells us that obeying Christ consists of "loving, and discussing His word"?

kookaburra43 said...

My opinion is supported by the bible as a whole, which is full of examples of people obeying God by loving eachother and telling eachother about His word. However, if you must have a specific reference, Colossians 3:14-16 is a good place to start. To me, this is what student led worship is about. And yes I do go to King's.

"14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. 15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. 17And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:15-17 NIV

Jeff Godley said...

Again, if you want to have this discussion, why don't you tell us who you are?

Post a Comment